9/11 and Hurricane Katrina Disaster Evaluation
For the final paper, you will analyze the response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina. Your analysis must include:
- A summary of each disaster with a focus on the psychological symptoms victims experienced from each disaster
- An explanation of at least three resources available to treat and assist victims from each disaster (e.g., local, state, federal, and/or non-profit organizational resources. Did the Red Cross or FEMA provide resources to victims to aid in their recovery?)
- An analysis of the long term effects these disasters had on victims and rescue workers’ mental health and overall well-being
- An assessment of how these disasters affected children versus adults
- An assessment of the role the media played in either agitating the psychological symptoms victims experienced from these disasters or helping to reduce the symptoms
Final Paper Prep
Review the Final Paper instructions in Week 5. Develop a thesis statement and outline, and an annotated bibliography for at least five sources you intend to use for the Final Paper. Three of these sources must be found in the Ashford University Library. This written assignment will help you prepare for the Final Paper due in Week Five.
- Thesis Statement: Develop a thesis statement. The thesis statement will be the point or claim you argue or prove in your paper.
- Outline: At a minimum the outline should include the following:
- Key issues and elements of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and Hurricane Katrina
- At least three psychological symptoms victims experienced from each disaster (Descriptions of the symptoms are not needed for this assignment; only identification of the symptom experienced, such as PTSD.)
- Annotated Bibliography: Prepare annotated bibliography that includes five sources with three resources from the Ashford University Library. All five resources must be scholarly or professional sources such as an official government website. This summary should include the following information:
- The author(s) of the source and APA citation
- A brief summary of the source. (Identify what the article is about and/or explain what the author tested, etc.)
- Brief explanation of how this source will contribute to your Final Recovery Plan.
- Title Page and Reference Page: The assignment should include a properly formatted APA (6th edition) style title page and reference page. The reference page must include at least five academic scholarly or professional sources.
Academic Research: Students are reminded of Ashford University standards for academic research, which includes:
- Primary (original) sources written by experts in the field of study
- Secondary sources supported by research in primary sources
- Credible sources (experts in the area of study)
- Relevant research (materials are pertinent to the area of study)
- Educational websites may be appropriate in some cases but should be evaluated carefully
- Official Government Websites
The following are examples of what is not acceptable for academic research and referencing:
- Wikipedia, other wikis, or blogs
- Websites and other sources that do not provide quality researched materials (site does not use credible sources to support the information in the document)
All research must reflect professional academic protocol and be documented according to APA standards (Please see guidelines for avoiding plagiarism).
- You must use at least five scholarly resources other than the textbook to support your claims and sub claims. Cite your resources in text and on the reference page. For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar, in your online course.