Identify a social issue, such as domestic violence, child abuse, homelessness, business ethics, or international human rights violations. The social issue is homelessness.
Prepare a 1,750- to 2,100-word campaign for an intervention strategy that addresses your issue. Include the following items: (Each member contribute a minimum of 420 words for their contribution)
- Introduction – (Bonita)- The introduction provides sufficient background on the topic and previews major points.
- Discuss the nature and history of your issue.
- Examine the effect the issue has on society.
- Identify at least two or more elements of persuasion that would be most beneficial to your campaign to bring awareness to this social issue (Related to the 4 elements of persuasion studied in Week 4). Using the four elements of persuassion explored by social psychologists are these four: (1) the communicator, (2) the message, (3) how the message is communicated, and (4) the audience. In other words, who says what, by what method, to whom it is said to. The communicator (who says it), the message (what is said), the channel (how it is said), and the audience (to whom it is said).
- 1. Communicator–a credible communicator is someone the audience perceives as expert and trustworthy.
2. The message—The message echoes through channels as varied as lectures, small-group discussions, and direct social pressure’s message itself persuades
3. The audience– who receives the message. The age of the audience makes a difference. (Myers, 2010)
Justify your chosen elements of persuasion by connecting them to various motivations of altruistic behavior (as identified in the social exchange theory).
- Discuss the implications of your team’s strategy in terms of intervention and prevention. Include specific intervention and prevention strategies that would help with your social issue.
- Conclusion – The conclusion is logical, flows from the body of the paper, and reviews the major points.
Second Portion of Project
Prepare a 10- to 15-minute oral presentation, accompanied by 10- to 12-Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides in which you illustrate your campaign. (Each member submit 2 slides pertaining to their topic in paper to include speaker notes)
The second portion of this project is due in a Powerpoint presentation, with speaker’s notes included. Your Powerpoint should match your campaign. Basically, this is a Powerpoint presentation to illustrate your campaign:
- Powerpoint presentation with 10-12 Powerpoint slides. If you were presenting this “live,” it would be a 10 -15 minute presentation.
- Speaker’s notes submitted with team presentation. Speaker’s notes are brief notes, (not paragraphs), to go along with slides in the PowerPoint. Speaker’s notes are part of the PowerPoint and are separate from the Paper. (In other words, Speaker’s notes are not paragraphs taken from your campaign/paper. Speaker’s notes are best written as bullet points to remind the speaker what to say for each slide.
Include at least four references in your presentation.
Format consistent with APA guidelines. The paper is laid out with effective use of headings, font styles, and white space.