Type: Discussion Board
Possible Points: (30 points)
Week 4: Chapter 3 â€“ Classification: Basic Concepts & Techniques
Primary Discussion Response is due by Thursday (11:59:59pm EST), Peer Responses are due by Sunday (11:59:59pm EST).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400â€“600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the basis for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
1. What is a classification model? As the classification model serves two vital functions in data mining: predictive and descriptive model. Explain the modelsâ€™ critical application with relation to an industry of your choice?
2. Describe a decision tree? From chapter 3, Figure 3.4 depicts a decision tree for the mammal classification problem. The tree has three types of nodes: a root node, internal node, and leaf nodes. Each node is associated with a class label. Describe a similar decision tree with four nodes and explain the class labels?
Responses to Other Students:
Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response regarding items you found to be compelling and enlightening. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What you learned from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions you have after reading your classmates posting?
- What clarification you need regarding your classmates posting?
- What similarities and differences you identify between your posting and other classmates’ postings?