“What happened in the basement of the psych building 40 years ago shocked the world.” — courtesy Stanford Magazine
For your third and final case study, you will be examining what is commonly known as the Stanford Prison Experiment. Many films and documentaries have been created documenting what began as a fairly innocent psychological experiment into the depths of human incarceration and ultimately ended in a fully study of human depravity. You will answer the following questions.
1. What was the study and why was it conducted?
2. Who participated and how did they gain participants?
3. What was the timeline of events that occurred starting with the beginning of the actual study experiment?
4. What was the outcome and why was it surprising?
5. Was anyone prosecuted or punished for their behavior relating to the experiment?
6. How do you feel about the experiment? Did they pick the wrong people to participate or is every adult human being prone to this type of behavior when given the chance?
7. In your opinion, not knowing what we know now about the students’ behavior, what could have been done differently to protect the groups?
You will submit your case study in Word Doc or Google Doc format, 3-5 pages, double spaced, with a Works Cited page at the end. You may choose to use MLA or APA format at your discretion. Take note the length and points for this case study are greater than the previous two.