Select a publicly traded
corporation for which you would like to work or are currently
Research the corporation on its own
Website, the public filings on the Securities and Exchange Commission EDGAR
database (http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml), in the University’s online
databases, and any other sources you can find. The annual report will often
provide insights that can help address some of these questions.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper in which you:
- Determine the impact of the company’s mission, vision, and primary
stakeholders on its overall success.
- Analyze the five (5) forces of competition to determine how they impact the
- Create a SWOT analysis for the company to determine its major strengths,
weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
- Based on the SWOT analysis, outline a strategy for the company to capitalize
on its strengths and opportunities, and minimize its weaknesses and
- Discuss the various levels and types of strategies the firm may use to
maximize its competitiveness and profitability.
- Outline a communications plan the company could use to make the strategies
you recommend above known to all stakeholders.
- Select two (2) corporate governance mechanisms used by this corporation and
evaluate how effective they are at controlling managerial actions.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of leadership within this corporation and make at
least one (1) recommendation for improvement.
- Assess efforts by this corporation to be a responsible (ethical) corporate
citizen and determine the impact these efforts (or lack thereof) have on the
company’s bottom line. Provide specific examples to support your response.
- Use at least five (5) quality references. Note: Wikipedia
and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch
margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format.
Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s
name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and
the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment
- Determine ways in which the vision, mission, and stakeholders of a firm
impact that firm’s overall success.
- Identify how the six segments of the general environment affect an industry
and its firms.
- Identify the five forces of competition.
- Analyze the external environment for opportunities and threats that impact
- Analyze the internal environment of a company for strengths and weaknesses
that impact the firm’s competitiveness.
- Identify various levels and types of strategy in a firm.
- Predict ways in which corporate governance will affect strategic
- Assess the relationship between strategy and organizational structure.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business
- Write clearly and concisely about business administration using proper