Ashford 6: – Week 5 – Final Paper
During each week of the course, you have covered various issues and trends associated with the U.S. health care system. For your Final Paper, you will apply the knowledge that you have gained throughout the course and the program of study by analyzing key health policy issues from the perspective of major stakeholders in the U.S. health care system.
The U.S. health care system has been shaped by numerous policies that have been established over a long period. Utilize at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford University Library. In an eight- to ten-page paper address the following:
- Describe general policy making viewpoints that exist today on each of the following health care issues:
- Access to Care
- Cost of Care
- Quality of Care
- Analyze the roles of the five major stakeholder groups or subgroups listed below in influencing health care policy formulation relative to the following issues: access to care, cost of care, and quality of care. Support and justify your ideas with appropriate research. Based on your research, explain the general position or stance of each group or subgroup as it relates to each of the listed issues (access to care, cost of care, and quality of care).
- Governmental agency (e.g., County Medical Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Health care professional association (e.g., American Medical Association, American Nurses Association)
- Direct or indirect health care providing organization (e.g., hospital, long-term health care facility, pharmaceutical manufacturer, managed care organization)
- Politicians (e.g., political party, President, U.S. Senate)
- Patients (e.g., general population, special populations)
- Evaluate the pros and cons associated with the involvement of the stakeholders in each group or subgroup in health care policymaking, including their position and their influence on the issues.
- Predict the future direction of health care policy on each of the issues (access to care, cost of care, and quality of care). From the perspective of a health care administrator, include a critical reflection on the social, cultural, economic, ethical, and regulatory implications as well as the changes required to promote the outcome that you envision. Devote at least one paragraph to each of the issues listed above.
Writing the Final Paper
The Final Paper:
- Must be eight to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least five scholarly sources, including a minimum of three from the Ashford Online Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.