For this assignment, you will examine the role of the nurse as a culturally diverse practitioner. Identify your target audience (i.e. staff nurses, pre-licensure nursing students, etc.) and create a PowerPoint presentation.
A nurse educator is preparing an orientation on culture and the workplace. There is a need to address the many cultures that seek healthcare services and how to better understand the culture. Choose a culture that you feel less knowledgeable about and address the following prompts by including two to three examples of each bullet point:
• Compare and contrast this culture with your own culture.
• Provide examples of the historical, socioeconomic, political, educational, and topographical aspects of this culture.
• Report the appropriate interdisciplinary interventions for hereditary, genetic, and endemic diseases and high-risk health behaviors within this culture.
• Determine the influences of their value systems on childbearing and bereavement practices.
• Name their sources of strength, spirituality, and magico-religious beliefs associated with health and health care.
• Outline health-care practices, including acute versus preventive care; barriers to health care; the meaning of pain and the sick role; and traditional folk medicine practices.
• Identify cultural issues related to learning styles, autonomy, and educational preparation of content for this culture.
Your presentation should be 15-20 slides (not including title, objectives, and references slides) with detailed notes for each slide. Include at least four scholarly sources. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment. No audio recording is required. Be sure to completely answer all the points/questions. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with citations throughout your presentation. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the presentation. Include a slide for your references at the end.
Length: 15-20 slides; answers must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner. Include at least four scholarly sources.
Title: 1 slide
Compare and contrast cultures: at least 3 slides
Provide examples of the historical, socioeconomic, etc. aspects of culture: at least 2 slides
Report interdisciplinary interventions: at least 2 slides
Determine influences on childbearing and bereavement: at least 2 slides
Name sources of strength, spirituality, etc.: at least 2 slides
Outline health care practices: at least 2 slides
Identify learning styles/educational preparation: at least 2 slides
References: 1 slide
M8 Assignment UMBO – 2, 4
M8 Assignment PLG – 7
M8 Assignment CLO – 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Total Point Value of Signature Assignment: 400 poi