Watch First Impressions: Exposure to Violence and a Child’s Developing Brain
Then answer some or all of the following questions:
- How does chapter 7 on gender and power relate to abuse?
- Did you witness domestic violence as a child or know anyone who did? How did it affect your/their childhood?
- What are some of the ways in which kids dealt with seeing domestic violence in the clip? (i.e. detach, become abusive themselves etc.)
- How does witnessing domestic violence affect kids at school?
- What other words did the movie use or would you use to characterize an abusive home?
- One of the speakers in the clip said â€œExposure to violence is a lifetime legacy.â€ In what ways can the affects of domestic violence last a lifetime?
- What are some ways to help kids deal with stressful situations?
- What can parents do to make sure they arenâ€™t doing further damage to their children?
- What is the take home message of this clip for you?