Choose an industry you have not yet written about in this
course, and one publicly traded corporation within that industry. Research the
company on its own Website, the public filings on the Securities and Exchange
Commission EDGAR database (http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml), in the University’s
online databases, and any other sources you can find. The annual report will
often provide insights that can help address some of these questions.
Write an eight (8) page
paper in which you:
• Choose the two (2) segments of the general environment that
would rank highest in their influence on the corporation you chose. Assess how
these segments affect the corporation you chose and the industry in which it
• Considering the five (5) forces of competition, choose the two
(2) that you estimate are the most significant for the corporation you chose.
Evaluate how well the company has addressed these two (2) forces in the recent
• With the same two (2) forces in mind, predict what the company
might do to improve its ability to address these forces in the near future.
• Assess the external threats affecting this corporation and the
opportunities available to the corporation. Give your opinions on how the
corporation should deal with the most serious threat and the greatest
opportunity. Justify your answer.
• Give your opinion on the corporation’s greatest strengths and
most significant weaknesses. Choose the strategy or tactic the
corporation should select to take maximum advantage of its strengths, and the
strategy or tactic the corporation should select to fix its most significant
weakness. Justify your choices.
• Determine the company’s resources, capabilities, and core
• Analyze the company’s value chain to determine where they can
create value using the resources, capabilities, and core competencies discussed
• Use at least three (3) quality references. Note:
Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must
follow these formatting requirements:
• Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12),
with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific
format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
Include a cover page
containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s
name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are
not included in the required page length.