To prepare for this discussion, be sure you review the following resources:
- Social Workers Must Help Dismantle Systems of Oppression and Fight Racism Within the Social Work ProfessionLinks to an external site.
- Dr. Ibram X. Kendi: Creating a More Equitable Society Is in White Americans’ Self InterestLinks to an external site.
National Association of Social Workers. (2020, August 21). Social workers must help dismantle systems of oppression and fight racism within the social work profession. https://www.socialworkers.org/News/News-Releases/ID/2219/Social-Workers-Must-Help-Dismantle-Systems-of-Oppression-and-Fight-Racism-Within-Social-Work-Profession
The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. (2020, June 26). Dr. Ibram X. Kendi: Creating a more equitable society is in white Americans’ self interest [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCUOX3NMd4U&t=50s
Respond to the following in your discussion board post:
- What is the main point that you took away from Dr. Ibram X. Kendi’s talk?
- In your own words, what does it mean to be an antiracist?
- The NASW News Release speaks to social workers about challenging our own racism. What is one area of growth you would like to implement after completing the module page activities and videos?
- What are other ways in which social workers can help fight racism?