Design health and wellness programming for a multi-cultural and economically diverse population in a community- based setting.
Unit Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Describe common theories and models of health behavior.
- Apply theory to develop program activities.
- Create a program logic model.
- Discuss the importance of tailoring program activities.
- Develop a plan to implement health promotion programming.
- Describe factors that influence the adoption and implementation of health promotion programs.
Background: In your previous assignments, you addressed several steps of the general planning process in developing a community-based health promotion program. Specifically, you assessed the health needs of the community, chose a health focus and a target population to serve, developed the program mission, goals, and objectives, and considered funding, budgets, and administrative tasks. The next steps in the planning process are designing the intervention and planning for program implementation.
In order to plan an appropriate and effective intervention, you need to choose a suitable theory or model of health behavior and design program activities according to its constructs. You will also need to think about how the activities you create can be tailored to your specific target population. Once you’ve developed program activities, you can also complete a program logic model that shows the intended and expected relationships between program components and the intended outcomes. A logic model is useful as a planning tool, an implementation guide, and an evaluation resource. In this assignment, you will complete a basic logic model that represents the components of your program.
Finally, once the intervention has been designed and the program components are clear, it is time to plan for program implementation. Even the most well-planned program will never be effective in achieving the intended outcomes if it is not implemented. Many health promotion programs are not implemented directly by those who plan them, rather they must be implemented by those in a position to reach the target population. In addition, those in a position to implement the program may not be the decision-makers responsible for choosing to adopt a program. To plan for program implementation, you must determine who will adopt and implement the program, explore any potential barriers to adoption, and establish the expected program implementation tasks.
In this Assignment, you will: choose a theory or model of health behavior to guide the creation of program activities, justify your choice, create program activities, create a program logic model, and develop a program implementation plan.
Your Assignment should be approximately 3–4 pages in length, written in primarily essay format and include appropriate supporting citations and references in APA format. Address the following topics:
- Write an introduction that describes why theory is useful and important in the design of health promotion interventions. (1–2 paragraphs)
- Choose a theory or model of health behavior to guide the creation of program activities from this list: Health Belief Model, Theory of Reasoned Action, Theory of Planned Behavior, Transtheoretical Model/Stages of Change, Social Cognitive Theory, Social Ecological Model.
- Explain why you selected this theory or model. Your explanation should include: (3–4 paragraphs)
- a brief overview of the theory/model including its major constructs,
- a discussion of why it is appropriate for your program purpose and target population,
- evidence of this theory’s/model’s suitability for your program.
- Create at least 1 program activity based on each construct of the theory or model you chose. Explain which program objective(s) is supported by each activity. Make sure you have at least one program activity to support each objective. (2–4 paragraphs)
- Explain what is meant by tailoring program activities and describe steps you will take to tailor your activities to the target population. (1–2 paragraphs)
- Create a program logic model and write 1–2 paragraphs explaining your logic model. You may create your own model or use the template provided in Course Documents.
- Develop a program implementation plan that: (3–4 paragraphs)
- describes who will adopt the program,
- identifies potential barriers to program adoption and offers strategies to address barriers
- describes who will implement the program,
- identifies potential barriers to program implementation and offers strategies to address barriers, and
- establishes the expected program implementation tasks and timeline.
- Write a summarizing conclusion. (1 paragraph)