Choose two of the following films and complete the three parts of the assignment.
Please compare Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 1 (2014) and The Martian (2015)
Please the requirement carefully! and read the cue sheet example first!
The assignment is in three parts:
Part 1: you will complete a scene analysis for the first segment of your two films.
Using the form provided, complete a scene analysis for your two films. Please see the Scene Analysis breakdown below and the form your chosen films.
Part 2: you will compile a cue list of the first 25 minutes of your two films.
Using the form provided, complete a cue list for your two films. Please see the Cue List
breakdown below and the form your chosen films.
Part 3: In mini-essay format (prose, full sentences), you will compare your two films by answering a series of questions about the use of music in the two films. For this part, you should watch the two films in their entirety.
Part 1: Scene analysis
- Using the template form provided (MUS 2310B 2019 Assignment Part 1 Scene Analysis Template), complete a scene break-down for the first segment of your two films.
- The point of the scene analysis is to identify the various elements of the sound track and their importance in your films
Part 2: Cue List
Using the template form provided (MUS 2310B 2019 Assignment Part 2 Cue List Template), complete a cue list for the first 25 minutes of your two films.
Steps to follow: 1. 2.
Identify the individual cues in the first 25 minutes of your two films.
For each scene, note the following:
- Cue name (original name or one you make up)
- Start and end times.
- Types of music
- Original underscore can be noted simply as “original underscore”.
- Pre-existing music should be identified by name, where possible.
- Placement of the music: Diegetic or nondiegetic
Part 3: Mini essay – compare and contrast (approximately 500-1000 words)
Answer the following question in prose format (full paragraphs). You should treat this as a mini- essay in which you compare your two films. Please be sure to address the elements below, however you are welcome to add information that interests, you if you wish.
Here is the detailed assignment requirement and all the information you need (include example):