One of the primary characteristics of East Asian religions is ancestor veneration. For this topic, explore how ancestor veneration is expressed in China and Japan, noting any connections with Daoism (Taoism), Confucianism, or Shinto. Proceed as follows:
– Title your initial thread in a way that reflects the content of your post. Be creative (yet respectful) with the title in such a way that you provide a preview of the content (and attract others to read). Titling it “East Asia Discussion” or something similar is unoriginal, does not entice others to read it, and could result in a deduction (the word “discussion” should not appear in the title anywhere). – Describe at least one of the beliefs and practices associated with ancestor veneration in China, addressing any connections with Daoism (Taoism) and/or Confucianism.- Describe at least one of the beliefs and practices associated with ancestor veneration in Japan, addressing any connection with Shinto. – Then, note any ancestor veneration similarities and differences between these two cultures and the religions they follow.- Provide at least 2 research source citations in MLA format (see below).
Remember, before writing you should research the beliefs and practices associated with ancestor veneration in China and Japan, as well as in Daoism (Taoism), Confucianism, and Shinto. This is because you are required to do research in association with each of the discussion topics so that you can provide well-informed opinions. Ensure that you provide original writing (do not copy the words of your sources) and that the citations are in proper MLA (Modern Language Association) citation format: MLA Format.
Grading Parameters (30 points total): See: A Sample Discussion Post, Frequently Asked Questions, and the Discussion Grading Rubric.
- Initial Post (5 points) – Provide a new threaded post addressing all questions posed in at least 200 words by the posted deadline: Time Schedule
- Research (5 points) – Consult at least 2 academic research sources related to the topic and provide a bibliography of these sources in MLA (Modern Language Association) citation format. This list should be within the initial post.
- Meaningful Participation (10 points) – Provide multiple meaningful conversations with others. Within your own thread, this means answering questions that are posed and/or providing clarification as needed. Within the threaded posts of at least one other person, provide a reply that fosters discussion. Maintain these conversations during the discussion time period as appropriate.
- Writing Skills (10 points) – Demonstrate original writing and academic writing.