Revisit, or if helpful, retake, the self-assessment at the end of the course textbook Chapter 1, which surveys attitudes about ethical and professional issues, and which you took as a Week 1 Portfolio Milestone assignment at the beginning of the course.
Based on the evolution of your thinking about ethical and legal practices in the field of human services from the beginning through the middle and to the end of the course, revisit the notes you have taken on the self-assessment during each module of the course and then submit a summative essay that addresses each of the following items:
- Select five specific survey items that represent the biggest shift in your thinking about ethical practice. For example: feelings towards clients, end-of-life decisions, counseling friends, internet counseling, spirituality & religion, etc.
- For each of the five survey items you select, identify and name one ethical guideline from each of the following three professional organizations that best addresses the survey item:
- The American Counseling Association
- The National Organization for Human Services
- The National Association for Clinical Social Workers
- Offer a critical analysis of the guidelines from each of the three professional organizations. How does each professional organization handle each specific survey item similarly? How does each organization handle each specific survey item differently?
- Based upon your analysis, which professional organization’s guidelines do you prefer overall? Which professional organization’s guidelines do you least prefer of find least applicable to the kind of work you envision yourself doing in the future?
- Describe how you plan to use ethical standards/guidelines in your future career in human services.
Final Paper Instructions:
- Include an introduction. It must provide a clear statement of your position on the topic.
- Your paper must be at 8-10 pages in length, not counting the title and reference pages, which you must include.
- Examine your position for each question by providing citations from at least three sources two of which are not the course textbook. The CSU-Global Library is a great place to find sources.
- Your paper must be properly cited and formatted according to the APA guidelines.
- Refer to the Portfolio Project rubric for grading criteria.
The paper must demonstrate the evolution of your thinking about ethical and legal practices in the field of human services. Your paper is expected to have depth and offer a thoughtful analysis. The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings, for example) and should support your claims with evidence.
The most common mistakes in writing an essay are (a) simply summarizing the topic and not analyzing it or discussing your views and (b) failing to relate the subject to the broader context as discussed in class and as found in the readings.
The paper and preliminary deliverables must be well written and formatted in conformity with the APA guidelines.