Our self-concept combines elements of our self-image and self-esteem, both of which are influenced by our experiences and cultural background. The range of concepts associated with “masculine” and “feminine” is as diverse as there are cultures and languages on our planet, and yet, because of our life experiences, we may find that the limited cultural expectations at home don’t reflect who we really are. While English may use “he” for male, and “she” for female, our diversity has so much more to offer than the either/or option.
This week, we consider the development of identity, your personal pronoun preferences, and the stereotypes and perceptions that surround the topic.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Read the Communication Program Discussion Guidelines.
- Read “Chapter 2: Communication and Perception” in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Review the content on the website MyPronouns.org in this week’s Learning Resources.
By Day 4
Post a response that addresses the following:
- Explain the biggest influence in the development of your identity and identify your own personal pronoun preferences.
- How can someone’s personal pronoun preferences affect people’s perceptions of them?
- What role do stereotypes play? How can you help others to overcome these stereotypes?