- Due DateMonday, November 18, 2019 Points Possible110
- Assignment 2: Analysis on Food SecurityDue Week 7 and worth 110 pointsThe members of the United Nations found great value in the analysis you provided on the effects of global warming that result from population growth. They are now asking you write an additional analysis to include further issues related to population growth. Here is the issue they have asked you to consider:The member states of the United Nations seek to build food systems that can provide global food security which will feed everyone, everywhere, every day by improving food quality though the promotion of effective and nutritional agricultural practices. The crucial issue is not the lack of food in the world but the access to that food. In many developing countries, food shortages are due to governmental control over food distribution. These governments maintain control of the population and their power by limiting access to nutritious food to certain groups. In this practice, they thereby “weaponize” food. Your second project as a consultant for the United Nations is to develop an analysis that addresses three issues related to global food insecurity caused by global population growth and poverty, and to explore these issues in a developing country of your choosing. The UN has given you the following guidelines.ContentThe UN has asked that your paper contain three sections. Each section should be one page (or approximately 300 words) in length and answer specific questions, identified in the outline below. It also asks that you use examples from your developing country when answering the questions. IntroductionProvide an introduction of half a page minimum that addresses points a-e below.
- Explains the problem the UN has asked you to address in your own words;
- Identifies the three sections your paper will cover;
- Identifies the developing country you will consider;
- Tells the UN the causes of food insecurity; and
- Provides a one-sentence statement of your solutions at the end of your introduction paragraph.
Section I. Background
- What is food insecurity?
- What role does population growth play in food security?
Section II. Technologies That Can Reduce Hunger and Improve Food Security
- What forms of technology can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security?
- How would these technological solutions work?
- What causes of food insecurity do these technologies address?
Section III. Specific Factors in Chosen Developing Country
- Considering the causes of food insecurity, what factors interrupt the flow of food from the source to the people in the developing country you selected?
- Provide a conclusion of half a page minimum that includes a summary of your findings that the United Nations can use to inform future policy decisions.
- In answering each question, use examples from your developing country to illustrate your points.
- The UN needs facts and objective analysis on which to base future policy decisions; avoid personal opinion and make sure your answers are based on information you find through research.
- Make sure your paper consists of four to six pages of content (or 1,200 words minimum, not including the cover or reference pages).
- Create headings for each section of your paper as follows:
- Section I. Background
- Section II. Technologies That Can Reduce Hunger and Improve Food Security
- Section III. Specific Factors in Chosen Developing Country
- Use and cite at least five credible sources in your research. A list of potential resources is available below.
- Make sure your paper contains both in-text citations and a source list, per SWS guidelines: Refer to the Strayer Writing Standards (SWS) document for reference.
- Include a cover page with your name, the country you selected, the date you submitted the paper, and your instructorâ€™s name.
- Peter Timmer. May/June 2015. Food Security and Scarcity: Why Ending Hunger Is So Hard. Foreign Affairs. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/reviews/capsule-review/food-security-and-scarcity-why-ending-hunger-so-hard
- The United Nations Population Division. 2017. World Population Prospects: The 2017 Revision. https://www.un.org/development/desa/publications/world-population-prospects-the-2017-revision.html
- Will Martin. November 5, 2010. Food Security and Poverty: A Precarious Balance. Let’s Talk Development blog by The World Bank. http://blogs.worldbank.org/developmenttalk/food-security-and-poverty-a-precarious-balance
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Propose a plan to address the issue of global food security in underdeveloped countries that considers the impact of prior solutions.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric:
Points: 110 Assignment 2: Analysis on Food Security Criteria Exemplary90â€“100% A Proficient 80â€“89% B Fair70â€“79% C Meets Minimum Expectations
UnacceptableBelow 60% F Defined food insecurity and addressed its connection to population growth.Weight: 20% Exceeded expectations in explaining the connection between food insecurity and population growth. Proficiently explained the connection between food insecurity and population growth. Defined food insecurity and population growth but did not sufficiently explain the connection between the two. Defined food insecurity and population growth but did not explain the connection between the two. Did not define or connect food insecurity or population growth. Explained other issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country.
Exceeded expectations in explaining issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country. Proficiently explained issues that are responsible for food insecurity in a specific developing country. Explained issues that are responsible for food insecurity but did not relate them to a specific developing country. Defined issues that are responsible for food insecurity but did not relate them to a specific developing country. Did not explain issues related to food insecurity as it relates to a specific developing country. Explained the forms of technology that can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security.Weight: 20% Exceeded expectations in explaining how technology can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security. Proficiently explained how technology can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security. Explained how technology can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security. Listed forms of technology that can be used to reduce hunger and improve food security but did not explain how they can do so. Did not list or explain how forms of technology can be used to reduce hunger or improve food security. Included an opening paragraph and a conclusion for this section of the paper. Weight: 20% Included a well-thought-out opening statement and a conclusion. Included a sufficient opening and a conclusion. Did not sufficiently include either an opening statement or a conclusion. Missed writing either an opening statement or a conclusion. Both the opening paragraph and conclusion are missing. Clarity, writing mechanics, and formatting.Weight: 15% 0-2 errors present. 3-4 errors present. 5-6 errors present. 7-8 errors present. More than 8 errors present. Met the minimum requirement of five credible sources/citations.Weight: 5% Met minimum credible source and proper citation requirement. Used 4 credible sources, with few citation errors. Used at least 3 credible sources and properly cited sources. Used at least 2 sources but did not properly cite sources. Used 1 or fewer sources.