Taking into account Terrys, Bloods, Black Veterans of the Vietnam War: An Oral History (1984) and our Unit 9 video Face of the Enemy, 2009, write an essay that uses the case of the war in Vietnam (1955-1975) comparing the experiences of people of color in the war.
In order to make your comparison and fill out your essay with relevant historical examples that demonstrate your main argument, you may also wish to address some of the following issues along the way in your essay: What was the basic cause, nature, and consequences of the war in Vietnam? Which people among the Vietnamese decided to take up arms, why so, and how so? Why and how did so many African-American soldiers find themselves in Vietnam during the war? To what degree were race and racism a factor in the causes of the war or the experiences of people who fought, on either side?
Requirements that need to be met:
Your essay should be no more than 1500 words maximum, excluding citations. (Overages on the word count beyond about 5% will cost you marks. You will get credit for concise prose.)
– No outside research permitted as this assignment is meant to see how you can use assigned course materials (our readings, videos, unit pages, primary sources) to marshal evidence for an argument about the past.
– Please indicate the source of important ideas and historical information in your essays by providing either footnotes or endnotes according to the Chicago Manual of Style. (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/tools_citationguide/citation-guide-1.html )
– To cite a Unit page you may use this format:
Unit 9: Insurgencies and Decolonization in the Cold War: Vietnam, AHSS 2260.
– To cite a video assigned in the course, you may use this format:
Face of the Enemy, 2009.
– Yes, you may use Ibid. for consecutive notes citing the same source.
– You do not need to provide a full bibliography or works cited list at the end of your essay since you will have provided full citations in your footnotes or endnotes already.
– In order to fine tune your draft and present the best and most persuasive writing you can, once you have produced a draft of your essay please use the Essay Writing Guidelines in Content > Assessments > Essay to revise it.