Unit 8 Assignment
Review the following legislation:
You are a consultant specializing in policy analysis. Based on the Examination and Treatment for Emergency Medical Conditions and Women in Labor legislation, as well as the situation that follows, you will complete a policy analysis with 3–5 options for your client, Congresswoman Moody, to consider.
Congresswoman Moody represents a state that borders Mexico. She is up for re-election next year, and she will seek another term in office.
There are many undocumented workers that reside in her district. Congresswoman Moody is vocal about the need to provide health care to all that need it, but she also believes in fiscal restraint and does not support bail-outs for private facilities. She is well aware that her state’s Medicaid budget is almost exhausted for this year, and the state’s unemployment rate remains stubbornly high.
Apart from the voters, other affected constituents include three private regional medical centers trauma units that receive referrals from five or more small facilities that have emergency departments with lesser trauma status. Also, the largest health care corporation that owns two of the three medical centers in her catchment area, and which supported her in her last bid for election with campaign funds at the allowable limit, is threatening to refuse Medicare and Medicaid patients to ensure survival in the bad economy. An increase in unfunded mandates for urgent care may push this corporation into private payer only, and Congresswoman Moody is aware that there are enough affluent families in the area to support two facilities providing only designer medicine and concierge services.
All options must:
· Be within the power of Congresswoman Moody to do
· Be consistent with Congresswoman Moody’s values, and
· Address the issue identified in the problem statement
1. Identify 3–5 options for Congresswoman Moody’s consideration
2. Identify criteria that will be used to evaluate the options
3. Identify pros and cons for each option
4. Use a side-by-side table (MS® Excel® would be appropriate for this) to assist in analyzing the options.