5-7 sentence responses.
Great Composers and Color Analysis
Determine whether you prefer Debussy or Mahler after listening to works by each at the Websites below or in this week’s Music Folder and after reading about them. Explain the reasons for your preference. Here we find musical composers inspired by poetry and by philosophy. Identify one (1) element within a work that you find interesting or intriguing by either composer, with regard to the manner in which the work is performed or conducted. Describe the types of things that inspire you to creativity.
Debussy and Mahler
- Chapter 33 (p. 1092), Debussy; (pp. 1103-1104), Mahler
- “Approaching Mahler and Debussy” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYZ1mUupG7k
- Musical selections for Mahler – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONBzkthUjM (Symphony No. 2, Finale; Resurrection Symphony) or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbRyttzUzjI (Symphony No. 1, 3rd Movement).
- Musical selection for Debussy — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5A4CkUAazI (Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune)
“Streaming Live and Harlem Renaissance”
- Write for one (1) minute using the stream of consciousness writing method (Note: You may also type it offline and copy it within this discussion thread). Describe your experience and your reaction to what you wrote. Of the samples of the stream of consciousness technique given in this week’s chapters, determine which you prefer and explain the reasons why.
- Chapter 35 (pp. 1164-1166); Chapter 36 (p. 1189), stream of consciousness – background and samples
- Method and exploration of stream of consciousness writing at http://dversepoets.com/2012/05/24/stream-of-conscousness-writing/
- Writing a stream: http://thewritepractice.com/stream-of-consciousness/ and http://literarydevices.net/stream-of-consciousness/
“Government and the Arts; Abstract Expressionism and Music”
- Examine the U.S. Government’s support during the Great Depression for programs, such as the Federal Arts Project, the Federal Writers’ Project, and other such efforts. Determine whether or not such projects were good government investments during those hard times, and provide two (2) examples that support your viewpoint. Determine in what ways the U.S. government currently tries to support the arts.
Government and the Arts
- Chapter 37 (pp. 1228-1231), Federal support for the arts
- Government helping the arts in hard times at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/1934-Picturing-Hard-Times.html and http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/powerprose/wpa/