This week we are discussing comparative analysis for Essay 2, and as such I would like us to watch a TED talk where we discuss the important of both books and comparative reading. Please first watch a TED talk by Lisa Bu where he discusses the subject of how books can open our minds.
After you have watched the short TED Talk, respond to the following questions:
- What is Bu’s thesis or main argument?
- What does Bu use to back up her claims? What kind of examples does she share with her audience?
- Does Bu try to appeal to your logic, your emotions or both? Think about the big three rhetorical strategies (ethos, pathos, logos) and discuss: Does Bu effectively appeal to her audience? (Remember to use specific examples.)
- Do you agree with Bu about the importance of comparative reading? Why or why not?
- What was your biggest takeaway or AHA moment from this Talk? What interested you or surprised you the most?
- Since viewing this video, do you think any differently about the importance comparative analysis? Did this video help you in understanding the task or the why behind comparative analysis?
“How Books Can Open Your Mind” | Lisa Bu
- Your initial response should be 150-300 words per question.