Assignment 2: Formal Outline
Due Week 4 and worth 150 points
The purpose of the Formal Outline is for students to organize their research and show the topical areas that they will cover throughout the Research Project. By breaking down the literature into various sections, topics, sub-topics, and details, students can divide large amounts of data into smaller, more orderly sections. The Formal Outline helps students organize their thoughts, stay on topic, and follow a logical order. It also provides students with the opportunity to show a progression of thought and direction, and can highlight specific areas of the Research Project that may need more or less attention.
The following article is helpful in structuring the paper: http://explorable.com/research-paper-outline-examples
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Provide an Introduction, Body, and Conclusion.
- Identify the main points and sections of the Research Project.
- Identify the sub-topics and details consistent with the main points and sections.
- Present information in an organized and logical manner.
- Use at least three (3) scholarly sources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia, Ask.com, Answers.com and general websites do not qualify as scholarly.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in crime and criminal behavior.
- Write clearly and concisely about criminal justice topics using proper writing mechanics and APA conventions.
To review the assignment overview for the term, click here.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.
Click here to view the grading rubric.